Sunday, May 5, 2013

Day 5, Blog Every Day in May {or} An ode to my best friend Courtney

Before we dive in to Day 5, I just want to say hi to everyone who is stopping by from the challenge! So many people have linked up and it is so much fun going through the different links and finding so many wonderfull blogs to read! Also yay for making it to day 5!! We can do it y'all! Only 26 posts and days to go!

All right, enough rambling! Here we go!



Day 5, Sunday: Publicly profess your love and devotion for one of your blogger friends. What makes them great? Why do you love them? If you don't have blogger friends talk about a real-life friend or even a family member.

There was one person that came to mind that fits really into all three of the above categories… My friend Courtney at Courtney’s Organized Chaos

It was Halloween 2007, my first Halloween away at college. I had just decided to move out of my current suite and was having (just a few) issues with my current roommate. I remember bringing up the issues very vaguely and (at the last minute) a sweet girl I had a few classes nvited me to get ready with her and her suitemates and then to a party that they knew of that evening.

I arrived at their suite just as it was getting dark, and was let in by the girl I knew from class as well as another girl that I didn’t know. We went into the dormitory and to a double room up a flight or two of stairs. There was barely room to move around the small space, I don’t remember exactly how many girls had squeezed into that tiny room to get ready that Halloween night, but I do remember the room being busy, loud, music was playing, and there was a lot of laughing and glitter and hair spray flying around. I felt incredibly welcome, every single girl in the room was incredibly sweet and definitely were the kind of people I had been hoping to find in college.

Little did I know that the girl who ended up dressing as Alice in Wonderland would still be my best friend almost SIX years later.
 
(From left to right: Tom, Me, (edited for privacy), Courtney. This picture seriously makes me laugh so hard. The guy sitting on the end? That’s Tom, Courtney’s husband! Neither of them even really knew each other before this picture was taken, but the following night would change that!)

The next day, on a whim, after Courtney and I had “friended” each other on Facebook, I wrote on her wall that we should hang out again. This is so out of character for me, especially because we didn’t even really talk much on Halloween. I still don’t know to this day what made me do it, but I do know I am so thankful I stepped out of my comfort zone that day!

Courtney responded almost immediately, inviting me over to her room to go out that night with her and some of the girls from the group on Halloween.

The plan was basically the same, minus the costumes, to get ready and then go across campus to the dorm where we had spent Halloween evening. I came to find out later that night that the group of girls that I was with was close with the group of guys’ who lived in the suite where we’d spent Halloween. The second night though, the feel of the room was completely different. It helped that it was a much smaller group but really it was just a comfortable feeling. Everyone was laughing and joking and getting along, it was like Courtney and I had always known each other, and she was hitting it off so well with Tom!





And then...

Campus security walked in.

I’m not going to incriminate anyone but I will just say that most of us ended up spending a significant amount of time in the Dean’s office talking our way out of some serious trouble.

I do want to take a quickmoment though to thank those Campus Security officers though.

Why you ask?

Well, without them, I’m pretty sure things would have been completely different, and really, I count them at least partly responsible for the friendship that ended up blossoming between Courtney and from that night forward.

Over the next few months, Courtney and I became inseparable, she and Tom started dating, I spent time with her family, and the rest is history.





The next year, MP and I spent the first six or seven months of our relationship double dating with Tom and Courtney.





 
 

We road tripped to quite a few football games, we drove to Georgia for our fall break to stay with my Aunt for a weekend. When Kevin and I moved away though, things obviously changed, but Courtney and I still keep up with each other to this day, no matter how far apart we are! She is actually the entire reason I blog. She started one long before I did and it was her adorable blog that inspired me to start my first one, which has now brought me here.
Courtney, I can’t wait for the day when we live next door to each other and we can sit on our front porches and sip sweet tea and chat all day. I miss you girl, and I don’t know where I’d be without you today!
Thanks for being an amazing friend!
 
 photo llpsig_zps2678775d.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...